Re: [K12OSN] public school technology budgets

for a 250 student private high school
the budget is 25-30k/yr

to cover everything hardware & software based...not support time/staff

with about 150 computers in total..MAC/Linux/XP

a K-8 private school with about 100 students and 60 machines, including tech time(20hrs/month) is about 15k/yr

--Huck

monteslu cox net wrote:
Does anyone on the list have any idea what a typical yearly technology budget is at a public K-6 or K-8?

I know this will vary wildy depending on districts, but I'm just looking for a ballpark.

Over severaly years, I've volunteered at a private school building a large network of about 70 thin clients for 200 or so students on very little available for technology (about 10K per year) using ltsp and other various other open source software. Lately I haven't had much time to spend on fixing some things and of course a few MS fanboy parents have siezed the opportunity to say how much better off we'd be using windows.

Any idea what kind of cash it takes to run a network that size on windows? Not just inital hardware and software purchases, but ongooing maintenance. I'm not trying to make a case for either side, I just want everyone to be aware of what it will cost them to buy machines and have someone to maintain them while kids are using them?

I have no interest in volunteering hours in cleaning up spyware and viruses from a bunch of windows computers with hard drives, so they'll need to pay someone to do it.

Thanks,

Luis