[K12OSN] Re: Current lab server recommendations for K12Linux

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Aug 31 20:24:46 UTC 2009

Daniel,
As you said long ago, don't get too cheap on a server. This should do
okay but really is at the bottom end of even where consumer desktops are
in computing power. If the whole class decides to visit a flash-based
site at the same time, there may be some grumbling.

Quad cores aren't that much more. If you were buying just a bare CPU,
you could get a quad-core AMD for $110. The chip in this server is a
clear out model, the successor only costs $60.

Also, see what the cache sizes are on the drives. Again, the spread in
price between a 250 gb with 2mb and speedy 500 - 750 can be as little as
$20-30.

Glad to hear things are going well.

William