Re: [K12OSN] How to make a k12linux client display GDM from a k12ltsp 5.0EL box

Hmm...it sounds like you're describing a video driver issue.  That's separate from which LTSP server you're querying for your XDM logins.

What I'd try first is tweaking your lts.conf file to point "SERVER = " to your K12LTSP 5.0EL server, but leave everything in your DHCP scope as is.  That's perfectly legal to do, and I've done it.  What will happen is that your DHCP scope will still tell your clients to point to your K12Linux (FC11) server for the stuff in /tftpboot and /opt/ltsp/i386.  That's where the X11 stuff, including all your drivers, lives.  But that's just to get the mini-Linux OS and X11 running on the thin client, nothing more.  From that point forward, i. e. once the client has X11 up and running, it can do the XDMCP query to *any* XDMCP-speaking X11 server.  Usually, and by default with LTSP, this is the same box as the LTSP server from which you're booting your clients.  But it doesn't have to be.

--TP
Do you GNU?

Burroughs, Henry wrote:

I’ve got a funny request.  I need to get my k12linux (FC11) clients displaying via xdmcp a GDM login from my older k12ltsp 5.0EL box (which is now a VM while I build a new k12linux system).  I recycled my oldest thin clients to replace them with low end P4 Dell systems.  However, the video does not work properly under k12ltsp but it does under k12linux.  I need to punt for a couple of days using this mixture so teachers can still use their systems but allow me to upgrade the old physical hardware (the temporary/test k12linux is a vm as well).  The syntax systems to have changed for the lts.conf……  I’ve read information saying SCREEN_07 instead of SCREEN_01.  Any help would be appreciated so I can make this switch in the next day.  Thanks!

Henry Burroughs

Technology Director

Hilton Head Preparatory School

www.hhprep.org