[K12OSN] Script Guru needed to change User information

Alan Hodson aahodson at episd.org
Tue Aug 25 18:33:15 UTC 2009

Hello group

For years I've used a student TC account scheme that from the District's AS400 picks up all students' 3 letters for the last name, initial, two characters for month and two for day of birth and adds a 6, 7 or 8 (middle schoolers) to come up with say hoda05218, a nine character login name that then adds their student ID as a password (aphostrophes, short names get replaced with _, very rarely are there repeats except for identical twins - what is it with those parents!!! ;-)

Every year I've deleted everybody and started fresh, but many students are requesting to please keep their desktops and files, and I have no problem with it, except that I need some help from the script gurus in the group to access the User Manager file and change the User Name and Full Name (same) last digits (6 and 7) to 7 and 8 respectively, and to delete all files for any user ending in 8.

I use Webmin to batch import new students (using a create:user1:userone:::user1:/home/user1:/bin/csh::::: info loaded text file), so I use the delete:filename also, but I do find scrips much more elegant and fast. If one of our gurus is up to the challenge, I for one would be very greatful.

Alan A Hodson MEd.
Instructional Applications Analyst
El Paso Independent School District
oF: 915-887-6871
fX: 915-772-4016
Nxt:915-892-0389
aahodson at episd.org
http://links.episd.org/
Open Source Guru
http://tinyurl.com/3e4sh8

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away
-=o=-