[K12OSN] Recommended RAM for F12/LTSP5

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Dec 1 05:33:51 UTC 2009

Henry Burroughs wrote:
> I have gotten the impression that 128MB of ram is probably below
> minimum RAM wise for running LTSP5 (I watched top as a local app).

If you're talking about a client, then 128MB is about the minimum.  I'd
suggest 256MB minimum, though, since DRAM is cheap.

> What do people recommend as a good min of ram and then what would be a
> good working level to have (I'm thinking 512MB -> 1 GB).  I would like
> the capability to do local apps (in particular crossover office with
> office 2003).

More never hurts.  I'd suggest 512MB DRAM as a minimum if you want to do
local apps.  Gotta ask one question, though, before you go to all the
CrossOver Office effort.  Any particular reason that OpenOffice.org
wouldn't service your MS Office 2003 needs?

--TP