[K12OSN] Recommended RAM for F12/LTSP5

Burroughs, Henry HBurroughs at hhprep.org
Wed Dec 2 15:33:19 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:33:51 -0500
> From: "Terrell Prude' Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Recommended RAM for F12/LTSP5
> To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
> 	<k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> Henry Burroughs wrote:
> > I have gotten the impression that 128MB of ram is probably below
> > minimum RAM wise for running LTSP5 (I watched top as a local app).
>
> If you're talking about a client, then 128MB is about the minimum.  I'd
> suggest 256MB minimum, though, since DRAM is cheap.
>

> > What do people recommend as a good min of ram and then what would be a
> > good working level to have (I'm thinking 512MB -> 1 GB).  I would like
> > the capability to do local apps (in particular crossover office with
> > office 2003).
>
> More never hurts.  I'd suggest 512MB DRAM as a minimum if you want to do
> local apps.  Gotta ask one question, though, before you go to all the
> CrossOver Office effort.  Any particular reason that OpenOffice.org
> wouldn't service your MS Office 2003 needs?
>
> --TP

> End of K12OSN Digest, Vol 70, Issue
> *************************************

Terrell,

We are unfortunately a MS shop (with campus agreement), so I need to
provide a unified office look across all platforms (Win, Mac, and
Linux).   It would be nice to switch to OO down the road, and it is
getting closer since I was able to use AD Group Policy software
deployment to push out OO 3.1 recently.  Between Group Policy software
deployment and WPKG, my windows boxes basically fully configure
themselves on a fresh install.   Aaah... automation.

Thanks for the memory feedback... now if I can only get my F12 chroot to
build..... arrrgh.......

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School