[K12OSN] using GVFS to "mount" local paths

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at hhprep.org
Wed Dec 2 15:50:53 UTC 2009

Way back in 2005 I had documented on how to use gnome-fs and gconf to
make icons for local directories (ie: /universal) show up as "Universal"
under Computer in Nautilus.  Found out this morning GVFS has taken the
place of gnome-fs and that doesn't work anymore.  I've been playing
around with the gvfs-mount command and I haven't had any luck getting a
local path remounted to show up.  These are the same shares that show up
for windows users (via Samba) and I also share to certain servers via
NFS.  I'm also trying to hash out how to make those available securely
to thin-client stations when running local apps.  That leaves me to
using samba or ssh and remounting when the user logs in.  Is there a way
to have the password given by the user at GDM passed to a gvfs-mount
command to make the shares appear? Via some pam magic?  This would
hopefully give a consistent interface for people.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org