[K12OSN] Module not found

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Dec 13 20:00:37 UTC 2009

Hello All,

Centos5 - K12LTSP

Built a kernel module for the rtl8101e/8102 Realtek GigE nic for an Acer
One laptop to boot from k12ltsp. I have always just built kernel modules
in the actual server /src tree then copy to the lib/modules dir of ltsp
tree and they have always worked. With the r8101 that was built from
source from the Realtek website. You simply do a make && make install
and your done.
I made a config file for this client in the pxe dir which the client
does of course see this file correctly as it gets the right ip address
and tries loading the r8101 module but stops with " Fatal: Module r8101
not found."
I also for kicks built the r8169 module ,from Realtek's website the same
manner and if I specify that module ltsp does try to load it but kernel
panics.
I also put an entry for both modules in the modules.dep file.
In F10 for example the r8169 module is used by default BTW.
The permissions on the the file appears to be correct. Has anyone ever
run into this snafoo?

Thanks,
Barry