[K12OSN] Local apps enable ltsp5?

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at hhprep.org
Mon Dec 14 16:34:06 UTC 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:41:03 -0800
> From: Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Local apps enable ltsp5?
> To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
> 	<k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Nathan Shaffer <nathan at grandvache.com> wrote:
> > We currently have a test server set up with F10-LTSP and was trying to find
> > some info on enabling local apps for Firefox, OOffice & a few other programs
> > (like tuxtype & tuxpaint). The wiki doesn't seem to have any entries on this
> > subject and I just come up with fragments searching the list.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction with regards to implementing
> > this?
> >

> Install new software in chroot
>   chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
>   mount /proc
>   yum install firefox
>   umount /proc
>   exit
>
> launch app as a local app
>    /usr/bin/ltsp-localapps /usr/bin/firefox
>
> If network apps don't work then you may need to setup nat in your
> firewall on your external nic
>
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> You can also set this up with the gui program system-config-firewall

In /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

LOCAL_APPS_MENU=True
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS = mozilla-firefox

To find the apps to list out for LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS, look
under /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/applications  List them out without
the .desktop file.  This actually substitutes in the menu the local app
version instead of the version on the server.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org