[K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:24:37 UTC 2009

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello People-who's-opinion-I-value-far-more-than-random-Google-results,
>
> I'm trying to set up an email server on a spare box I have.  It is a
> pentium 4 so it should do the job.  I've got CentOS 5.2 on it and it's
> connected to a big enough pipe to be able to handle our email needs.
> I'm just not sure which of the following webmail applications I should
> install on it. The requirements are that maybe only 10-15 people will
> have email accounts, and the volume of email will not be high for most
> of them.  My priority is ease of use -- these users are going to be
> moving from hotmail/gmail to a domain-specific email address (as well
> as ease of use for setup and administration for myself).
>
> The webmail packages I have seen online are:
>
> 1) Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/)
> 2) Horde IMP (http://www.horde.org/imp/)
> 3) Roundcube (http://roundcube.net/)
> 4) Neomail (http://sourceforge.net/projects/neomail/)
> 5) Hastymail (http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/)
> 6) V-webmail (http://v-webmail.sourceforge.net/)
>
> Now it would be nice (but not remotely crucial) if the webmail program
> allowed access via a smartphone/PDA.  I suppose I could just do it via
> the smartphone's IMAP...
>
> Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any of the above?

If you really want ease-of-administration, look at the free SME server
distribution from http://www.contribs.org.   You'll have to reinstall,
but everything will come up working out of the box and it will still be
mostly centos code under the covers. It will include pop and imap email
plus the hoard webmail interface plus a lot of other stuff that you may
or may not care about - all managed with a simple web interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com