[K12OSN] OT: any OpenOffice vs. MS Office studies/cases out there?

Mel Wade mel at melwade.com
Sat Feb 21 17:21:04 UTC 2009

To me the biggest downside of OO is the lack of textbook support.  I know
there are one or two out there, but not developed to the point of what is
available for MS Office.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Barry R Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net>wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> This is always an ongoing struggle,as has been discussed here several
> times before. I do not have any good links to compare OOo to M$ Off in a
> school setting.You are on the right track though. I have pitched OOo
> here to the powers that be. Bottom line I try and tell them ' what are
> the disadvantages of OOo"? One big selling point to me is the fact that
> any format of OOo that is used can be transparently saved as a PDF that
> gives a more finished/professional look right out of the box.Its not
> rocket science for say the secretaries, or anyone for that matter to do
> this. If nothing else OOo is worth more than M$Off in this regard.
> I have found that without a doubt people that has been in teaching 'are
> set in their ways' ,period! You are asking the world for them to step
> out of their comfort zone,even if something as menial as what we are
> discussing here. Second downfall is that the higher ups are
> impressed,,when things cost lots of money versus free.Never could figure
> that one out,other than they are pretty simple minded:(.
> Example: We have to have M$Off+ $$ for licenses,then we buy Adobe CS3 or
> whatever the topend bulk package is for major $$$$ ++ so much for
> license for this as well to be able to convert MS docs to pdf's. Really
> impressive?
> Does it make you wonder why all state agencies across the country
> continually operate in the red,,,except for the state of North Dakota>
> Maybe they are a little too practical!
> OK I m done b___ch___.
>
> Take Care
> Barry Cisna

Mel Wade
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas
Adams
http://www.melwade.com