[K12OSN] OT: any OpenOffice vs. MS Office studies/cases out there?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Feb 23 04:59:28 UTC 2009

_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!

Bill Fitzgerald wrote:
> j.w. thomas wrote:
>> Ryan Collins wrote:
>>  > I have found that the acceptance rate goes up when you tell them it's
>>> the upgrade to Windows/MS Office. Rename the menu items to Microsoft
>>> Word/Excel, etc, use IceWM and use the XP Silver theme.
>>>
>>> I did the same with Firefox when I started to phase it in, I changed
>>> the icon to the IE e and the name to Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> Once they start using it, then you can slowly work with them to
>>> understand Open Source.
>>
>> I would urge caution when it comes to knowingly making false claims.
>> OOo is NOT Office, and if you say that it is and the truth eventually
>> comes out, you have just thrown away your credibility.
>>
>> It may seem expedient, but sometimes expediency comes at a cost.
>>
> As much as I like OOo, and want to see it adopted as widely as
> possible, bending the truth is not the way to go.
>
> Let's leave that to the vendors of proprietary software :)

I agree.  "Little white lies" ultimately won't do it.  What needs to
happen is that school board meetings need to be attended, and *parents*
need to be asking these school board members what their plans are for
OpenOffice deployment.  These parents need to press the issue and make
it a voting issue.  Only when politicians fear for their jobs do they
get on the stick.

--TP