[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:10:07 UTC 2009

>> I think the estimated cost is almost $40K for this lab.  I"m not keen
>> on it, but I was asked about it.  If someone can show me a way to do
>> movie editing, sound editing, etc with OSS and local apps using the
>> latest k12Linux, I would be ecstatic.
>
> You will be in luck, David.  Your new Mac hardware is Intel based, and
> you ought to find success with the latest K12Linux.  At the very
> least, you will find some enthusiastic debugging support until it gets
> there.

This is great news.

> KDENLIVE , http://www.kdenlive.org/  is something you might want to
> look at for movie editing.
>
> Also, Open Movie Editor, http://www.openmovieeditor.org/

I'll check these out this weekend.  Probably while I'm testing the
latest k12linux for compatibility with our thin client hardware.  As a
guess, would these be able to run as local apps?

> It's hard to do better than the Mac's movie editing offerings, but
> these are both pretty and friendly applications.  I imagine that
> others on this list have had success with something else.
>
> Depending on what kind of sound editing you want to do, you will
> probably find better applications that do more in the Fedora/K12Linux
> project than you will with the Mac alone.  What kind of sound editing
> do you want to perform?

The Tech teacher is ok with using audacity if need be but prefers to
keep absolutely everything on a Mac. She owns 7 different Macs and has
been slowly trying to get the school to put in all Mac labs and
desktop systems everywhere.  Sound is the killer issue at the moment.
Again, if local apps would solve this problem I'd be happy.

Thanks for the quick response.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins