Re: [K12OSN] Dell Offers Enterprise Linux Operating System from Novell to Address Growing Market for Thin Clients

Not a good way to do that, Moon.  Where do you think Warren Togami comes from?  You did notice that his email address ends in "@redhat.com", right?

The fact that Red Hat has stayed true to its Free Software roots (thus making CentOS possible) makes choosing Red Hat a no-brainer for me.  I don't see Novell sponsoring this list.  I don't see an educational/LTSP-ifyed version of SuSE Linux that is totally Free Software.  But I sure do see a Red Hat version of it.  It's called K12LTSP/K12Linux, specifically designed for--that's right--thin clients.  And Canonical's doing the same with Edubuntu.

Please remember to give credit where it's due.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Moon wrote:
Sorry, wasn't intended to be. I'm well aware that Red Hat supports the Fedora and K12Linux projects, and not without significant return on investment mind you. I was just pointing out that Red Hat seems to keep slipping in key growth areas, like workstation, Thin Client, and other small-medium business solutions.  Novell is making choosing SUSE a no brainer choice by focusing on small-medium business solutions. I would really hate to see Novell overtake Red Hat in this Linux market. Hopefully Red Hat reads these posts and takes notice...

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 20:48 -0800, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
2009/2/3 Moon <moon smbis com>:
> Given Red Hat's limited at best interest in Thin Client computing
> technology, I can bet they won't be looking at growth this year or next like
> they have had given the current economic downturn and the business sector
> looking to reduce costs. Especially given the degree of partnering going on
> among vendors to address the issues.

Moon,
Making antagonistic and punitive statements are not constructive.
Fedora and K12Linux are sponsored by Red Hat, as is this list.