[K12OSN] Help with php / mysql

I'm trying to insert the text below into a mysql table but it's complaining, I think it's the ' that's causing the problem.

childrens's/youth program (general)

The table is called stream and the field I'm trying to insert into is called genre and it's a varchar(200) collation utf_general_ci

This is the command I'm using

mysql_query(INSERT INTO stream (channel, starttime, title, description, genre, filename) VALUES ('$channel','$starttime','$title','$description','$genre','$filename'));

All the other fields work OK & if I remove the ' from $genre it works OK.

Did think about doing a search & replace before I insert but I'd have to do it on the other fields as well so I'd like to be able to solve it another way :-)

Thanks
Brian

the views of Portsmouth College