[K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 15:59:53 UTC 2009

Hello People-who's-opinion-I-value-far-more-than-random-Google-results,

I'm trying to set up an email server on a spare box I have.  It is a
pentium 4 so it should do the job.  I've got CentOS 5.2 on it and it's
connected to a big enough pipe to be able to handle our email needs.
I'm just not sure which of the following webmail applications I should
install on it. The requirements are that maybe only 10-15 people will
have email accounts, and the volume of email will not be high for most
of them.  My priority is ease of use -- these users are going to be
moving from hotmail/gmail to a domain-specific email address (as well
as ease of use for setup and administration for myself).

The webmail packages I have seen online are:

1) Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/)
2) Horde IMP (http://www.horde.org/imp/)
3) Roundcube (http://roundcube.net/)
4) Neomail (http://sourceforge.net/projects/neomail/)
5) Hastymail (http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/)
6) V-webmail (http://v-webmail.sourceforge.net/)

Now it would be nice (but not remotely crucial) if the webmail program
allowed access via a smartphone/PDA.  I suppose I could just do it via
the smartphone's IMAP...

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any of the above?

Thank you
Joseph

P.S. One last thing I'm thinking about is using the built-in email
client that OpenGoo has (http://www.opengoo.org/) but I'm not sure if
it's suppose to be ready for prime-time yet.