Re: [K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

Joseph Bishay wrote:
Hello People-who's-opinion-I-value-far-more-than-random-Google-results,

I'm trying to set up an email server on a spare box I have.  It is a
pentium 4 so it should do the job.  I've got CentOS 5.2 on it and it's
connected to a big enough pipe to be able to handle our email needs.
I'm just not sure which of the following webmail applications I should
install on it. The requirements are that maybe only 10-15 people will
have email accounts, and the volume of email will not be high for most
of them.  My priority is ease of use -- these users are going to be
moving from hotmail/gmail to a domain-specific email address (as well
as ease of use for setup and administration for myself).

The webmail packages I have seen online are:

1) Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/)
2) Horde IMP (http://www.horde.org/imp/)
3) Roundcube (http://roundcube.net/)
4) Neomail (http://sourceforge.net/projects/neomail/)
5) Hastymail (http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/)
6) V-webmail (http://v-webmail.sourceforge.net/)

Now it would be nice (but not remotely crucial) if the webmail program
allowed access via a smartphone/PDA.  I suppose I could just do it via
the smartphone's IMAP...

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with any of the above?

If you really want ease-of-administration, look at the free SME server distribution from http://www.contribs.org. You'll have to reinstall, but everything will come up working out of the box and it will still be mostly centos code under the covers. It will include pop and imap email plus the hoard webmail interface plus a lot of other stuff that you may or may not care about - all managed with a simple web interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com