[K12OSN] Re: Announcing K12Linux F10 Live Server

Phydeaux wrote:
I also had problems with booting from usb. Did you use the liveusb-creator
on linux or window$?

I used it on window$ many times without success, and finally gave up and
burned it to dvd. Then it worked flawlessly.

I used liveusb-creator on Windoze to with no problems.   Will your
machine boot from USB keys programmed from other .iso images?

There seems to be a problem with liveusb-creator.  I do not know for
sure because I cannot reproduce these problems, but I suspect that it is
not successfully installing the boot loader when run from Windows.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/ltsp/k12linux/f10/stable4/livecd-iso-to-disk
This script that should work on most Linux distributions with option --reset-mbr is sometimes necessary to make a USB stick bootable. What is the equivalent on Windows? I don't know.

Most machines boot from USB stick if it is installed on the first partition, with the first partition marked bootable. (Example: /dev/sdb1) Some machines however are only able to boot from USB if you format the drive directly without partitions and install directly (Example: /dev/sdb).

You can try these things if Live USB. If that doesn't work, then your only option is to burn it on a DVD.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com