[K12OSN] Re: Announcing K12Linux F10 Live Server

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 19:04:30 UTC 2009

Phydeaux wrote:
>> I also had problems with booting from usb. Did you use the liveusb-creator
>> on linux or window$?
>>
>> I used it on window$ many times without success, and finally gave up and
>> burned it to dvd. Then it worked flawlessly.
>
> I used liveusb-creator on Windoze to with no problems.   Will your
> machine boot from USB keys programmed from other .iso images?

There seems to be a problem with liveusb-creator.  I do not know for
sure because I cannot reproduce these problems, but I suspect that it is
not successfully installing the boot loader when run from Windows.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/ltsp/k12linux/f10/stable4/livecd-iso-to-disk
This script that should work on most Linux distributions with option
--reset-mbr is sometimes necessary to make a USB stick bootable.  What
is the equivalent on Windows?  I don't know.

Most machines boot from USB stick if it is installed on the first
partition, with the first partition marked bootable.  (Example:
/dev/sdb1)  Some machines however are only able to boot from USB if you
format the drive directly without partitions and install directly
(Example: /dev/sdb).

You can try these things if Live USB.  If that doesn't work, then your
only option is to burn it on a DVD.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com