Re: [K12OSN] Dell Offers Enterprise Linux Operating System from Novell to Address Growing Market for Thin Clients

Bob wrote:

I own a small business and ran Red Hat from about 4.1 or so up to RH10
and then found FC less than usefull and RH enterprise way over our
heads technically and financiallly and switched to SUSE.  Am now
looking real close at Ubuntu but haven't made that commitment, yet.

it almost seemed like Red Hat didn't want my business and yes we
bought full versions with support.

just one persons experience, I appreciate everything Red Hat does to
support linux, I probably would not be using Linux today if it were
not for the efforts of Red Hat years ago, but since RH 10 it seems
they don't want my business anymore.

I don't believe there ever was a Red Hat 10, right? I was wondering if CentOS wouldn't be a more logical OS to switch to when coming from Red Hat? Or are you getting SuSE with support? I actually kind of understand that a company might not want everybody's business. It might just make a whole lot more sense (business-wise) to concentrate on particular target audiences, although I have no idea if that was the case here.

I do know that I have some investments in RPM and for that reason won't be switching to a DEB-based distro like Ubuntu for our servers any time soon. But it's a nice distro for the desktop and I use it quite frequently myself. But hey, that's nice thing about having a lot of distro's, right?

Nils Breunese.