[K12OSN] Network boot crashes computer

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 16:16:06 UTC 2009

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well today.

I thought I would post this here in case anyone has a solution or for
future reference.

We are looking to upgrade our clients and a couple of machines we
obtained are Acer Acerpower SV machines
(http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/html/psv_specs.html) Pentium 4
machined with 256 MB RAM.

It ends up that trying to use them as thin clients causes the computer
to continually reboot during the network loading part.  The sequence
is:
1. Computer posts
2. Netword card kicks in, looking for DHCP (I've used 2 different boot
disks to try this)
3. Once you start to see the row of dots on the screen after it finds
the LTSP server, it will stop at some point and the computer will
reboot.

This happens with it plugged into both a K12LTSP-EL LTSP server and a
K12Linux Fedora 10 LTSP Server.

Not sure if there is a solution -- I have tried it with two different
machines and they both do the same thing.

Thanks,
Joseph