From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On
Behalf Of "Terrell Prude Jr."
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:15 AM
To: Support list for open source software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Network boot hangs

I've seen this happen before, back when something was haywire with my
client's NIC; it was one of those gradual failures.  Swapping NIC's did
the trick then.  I've also (rarely) seen an NFS misconfig do it; this
is rare because it's autoconfig'd during the K12LTSP setup.  I'm
assuming here that you've left /etc/dhcpd.conf (or /etc/dhcpd-
k12ltsp.conf) at its stock config.

Can you try this:  boot a thick client Linux box, try mounting
/opt/ltsp/i386 from the LTSP server, and copying everything under there
to a test directory on the thick client?

Also, do you have another kind of thin client to try out to see if it
happens there, too?

--TP

_______________________________
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org> ?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com> --the ultimate
antivirus protection!

Peter Trifonov wrote:

	Rob, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I have tried gPXE, but with
the same
	result.
	The problem arises AFTER Linux kernel is downloaded from the
server and
	started.
	The kernel says:

	Creating new ramdisk to hold our new rootfs
	Mounting root filesystem: ... from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [Some NFS
traffic is
	observed at the server at this moment]
	Setting up the new root ramdisk area
	Doing the switchroot
	SwitchRoot v0.1 - Copyright 2005 Linux based systems design
	Freeing ram used by initramfs

	After this the system stops doing anything.

	With best regards,
	P. Trifonov