[K12OSN] ncomputing

John Barr jebarr at stclair.k12.il.us
Thu Feb 12 20:39:40 UTC 2009

We use nComputing in all of our elementary classrooms. We bought
reconditioned Dells for $209. apiece, 2.8. gig 512 Ram then added the
nComputing card, boxes, and cords (all for another $200.00) and presto
you have 4 machines that act like XP and look like XP for $400.00.  You
can add a second card and boxes for 7 overall machines.  That would cost
you another $200.00, so you would have $600 for 7 machines. We haven't
had any substantial problems with them. Everyone has a headphone jack
too.  The only issue we have had is a teacher wanting to run cd based
programs.  You only have a cd on the master machine.  It is cool and
cheap.  We are a poor and struggling school district. It allowed us to
replace 400 PCs with 100 masters and 100 computing systems. Plus at the
time we got 15 free when we bought 100 Ncomputing systems.  The jury is
still out if we need to buy windows user CALs for the systems. Bill
always has his hand out.

Thanks,
John Barr
jebarr at stclair.k12.il.us
Technology Systems Support Lead Person
Cahokia Unit School District 187
618-332-2191 (office)
618-806-8920 (cell)

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 618.332.2191, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.