Re: [K12OSN] Authenticating existing users with K12Linux

Thanks for the help guys!

As far as I can tell the built-in LDAP in SME doesn't really authenticate but there is an beta LDAP install that adds the extra functionality. I hopefully will get the K12Linux up and running this week and try it out. I'll use the suggested http://wiki.contribs.org/Fedora7 for reference.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Owens" <rowens ptd net>
To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Authenticating existing users with K12Linux

If you tell SME server to act as a domain controller (or whatever the web gui calls it), doesn't that use LDAP?

-Rob

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:36:56AM +0900, Steve Towson wrote:
Actually SME Server doesn't use LDAP for authentication by default, although you can turn it on - search the wiki for LDAP. The hard part is getting the
home folder automounted.

There's a wiki entry for authing Fed 7 against SME in the SME wiki (search
for Fedora), but it uses Winbind rather than LDAP (and winbind is much
trickier).   The stuff on mounting home folders is useful, however.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve