[K12OSN] Using Docks with k12ltsp el5

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 11:50:19 UTC 2009

I'm trying to make the front end to our thin clients a little "friendlier" for students a bit more
like the "easy mode" on EeePC's / Aspire Ones. I know the normal KDE/GNome desktop is easy to use
it's just that I'm trying to get the thin clients more accepted by staff more then students as they
are all "We MUST have M$Windows) so a pretty front end might help :-)

I've had a read about IceWM & Xfce but can't seem to find how ASUS/Acer have done this "Easy Mode",
it looks like they have a custom desktop manager :-(

So I'm now thinking of some sort of OSX style dock along the bottom with the common apps on it.
Looking at the site below I really like the look of Avent Windows Navigator but this requires Compiz
& I don't think this works with thin clients :-) so the looking at the simplier ones "Engage Dock"
looks nice.

http://www.internetling.com/2008/03/24/linux-docks-5-mac-os-x-docks-for-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros/

Now the question, has anyone experimented with these or this sort of thing for there own thin client
roll outs ??

Thanks
Brian
Portsmouth College