Re: [K12OSN] OT: parallel running cat5e to switches

Sure, we do this all the time at work.  What you're describing has many names--Cisco calls it EtherChannel; everyone else calls it MultiLink or ChannelBonding.  We use EtherChannel quite a bit in our data centre.

What it does is bond two ports together on a switch to act like a single port.  And yes, your bandwidth does double (the overhead is less than 1%).  It needs to be configured on both switches, but it's not hard.  So, in your situation, you'll go from 1Gbps to 2Gbps.

That said....

The channel bonding will double your bandwidth on *that* line, but that's all it will do.  If your video server has only a 1Gbps link, then you'll see no throughput increase to that server.  On the other hand, if you've got two or three such high-bandwidth servers with (in this example) 1Gbps connections, all of these servers are on one of these two switches, these servers's own links aren't otherwise pegged, *and* all the clients are also on one of these two switches, then yes, you will see a bandwidth increase.  Oh, and your servers need to have enough oomph to actually be able to pump that kind of traffic.

If you've got only one high-bandwidth server, and its line is pegging, then you would be well advised to put it on a Gig-E MultiLink as well.  Linux supports this.

In short, you've really got to think about where all your bottlenecks are.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Barry R Cisna wrote:
Hello List,

Has anyone here done any real 'bean counting' studies in regards to how
much,if any gains can be had by parallel running cat5e's from switch to
switch. In other words running two cat5e's from say the server room
switch to a room that gets heavy video use? This would be to use our
existing hardware/switches .We currently have GIGE backbone with uplink
ports at each 'hallway' switch,from there going into each class room is
fed with 10/100 ports. I am guessing bottom line the throughput gain
would be very marginal for all the work involved.Also trying to figure
out if we was to do this how to conglomerate the second wire with only
two uplink ports for each switch? (The second port on each switch feeds
down to the next hallway switch).Not all homerun cat5 runs here:(
We are fed with one T1 line and a second dsl for teaches/office people's
pc's.

We have two classrooms that are physically 600ft from the server room
but goes through one 'junction hallway' switch so distance is still
within reason,but you might know these are the two most used computer
labs and sometimes i get complaints of 'being  slow'.
Just wondering if anyone on list here has done this,and if so,if it was
worth the trouble?
I have Googled and cant not find any graphs,or anything to document
this. Seems odd?

Thanks,
Barry Cisna