Re: [K12OSN] OT: parallel running cat5e to switches

Barry R Cisna wrote:

Has anyone here done any real 'bean counting' studies in regards to how
much,if any gains can be had by parallel running cat5e's from switch to
switch. In other words running two cat5e's from say the server room
switch to a room that gets heavy video use? This would be to use our
existing hardware/switches .We currently have GIGE backbone with uplink
ports at each 'hallway' switch,from there going into each class room is
fed with 10/100 ports. I am guessing bottom line the throughput gain
would be very marginal for all the work involved.Also trying to figure
out if we was to do this how to conglomerate the second wire with only
two uplink ports for each switch? (The second port on each switch feeds
down to the next hallway switch).Not all homerun cat5 runs here:(
We are fed with one T1 line and a second dsl for teaches/office people's
pc's.

We have two classrooms that are physically 600ft from the server room
but goes through one 'junction hallway' switch so distance is still
within reason,but you might know these are the two most used computer
labs and sometimes i get complaints of 'being  slow'.
Just wondering if anyone on list here has done this,and if so,if it was
worth the trouble?
I have Googled and cant not find any graphs,or anything to document
this. Seems odd?

Switch to switch port groups work with not too much overhead. But before you do the work, set up cacti (or OpenNMS if you are more ambitious) to see if you really are hitting a bottleneck on the existing connections. Cacti is quick and easy to set up - OpenNMS is a more complete monitoring system. Either will give you graphs of bandwidth use on the switches and servers.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com