[K12OSN] OT: any OpenOffice vs. MS Office studies/cases out there?

Ryan Collins mr.rcollins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 03:11:45 UTC 2009

Rob Owens wrote:
> I introduced OpenOffice to a company I used to work for.  Both the
> R&D Engineer and the VP of Manfacturing claimed they could not
> "figure it out".  The machinists all used it with no problems.
>
> Same story with Linux in general.  Office staff did not want to even
> try it.  I put it in the cafeteria for the assembly workers to use
> during break, gave them no instruction, and they used it just fine
> (they never asked me for help -- not once).

I have found that the acceptance rate goes up when you tell them it's
the upgrade to Windows/MS Office. Rename the menu items to Microsoft
Word/Excel, etc, use IceWM and use the XP Silver theme.

I did the same with Firefox when I started to phase it in, I changed the
icon to the IE e and the name to Internet Explorer.

Once they start using it, then you can slowly work with them to
understand Open Source.

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/