Re: [K12OSN] OT: any OpenOffice vs. MS Office studies/cases out there?

_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Bill Fitzgerald wrote:
j.w. thomas wrote:
Ryan Collins wrote:
 > I have found that the acceptance rate goes up when you tell them it's
the upgrade to Windows/MS Office. Rename the menu items to Microsoft Word/Excel, etc, use IceWM and use the XP Silver theme.

I did the same with Firefox when I started to phase it in, I changed the icon to the IE e and the name to Internet Explorer.

Once they start using it, then you can slowly work with them to understand Open Source.

I would urge caution when it comes to knowingly making false claims. OOo is NOT Office, and if you say that it is and the truth eventually comes out, you have just thrown away your credibility.

It may seem expedient, but sometimes expediency comes at a cost.

As much as I like OOo, and want to see it adopted as widely as possible, bending the truth is not the way to go.

Let's leave that to the vendors of proprietary software :)

I agree.  "Little white lies" ultimately won't do it.  What needs to happen is that school board meetings need to be attended, and *parents* need to be asking these school board members what their plans are for OpenOffice deployment.  These parents need to press the issue and make it a voting issue.  Only when politicians fear for their jobs do they get on the stick.

--TP