Re: [K12OSN] Where is K12LTSP at?

Rob Owens wrote:
If you're looking for something longer life than Fedora / LTSP 5, you
could try Debian Lenny or Ubuntu Hardy, both with LTSP 5.  Or you
could stick with CentOS / LTSP 4.2.  I know there's also an OpenSuse
implementation of LTSP 5, but I don't know much about that
distribution or its life cycle.

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
"K12LTSP is considered to be LEGACY software that is usable with old hardware until CentOS5 support ends in the year 2014. If you need modern LTSP 5.x features or modern client hardware, then you will want to use K12Linux.org."

K12LTSP EL5 uses the ancient LTSP-4.2. This is beneficial in that you get security updates for the server and desktop applications on the server until the year 2014. Ubuntu and Debian releases do not last nearly *that* long.

The other benefit of K12LTSP EL5 is it works with more ancient client hardware due its ancient version of X and kernel. This is also a detriment though... because lots of modern client hardware will not work at all.

K12Linux F10 has the benefit of modern LTSP5 features like sound, local storage devices, local apps support, and modern X allows modern client hardware to work. The drawbacks however are:

* Modern X broke some older client hardware. These are upstream x.org bugs. They will only be fixed if people take the time to file the bugs upstream instead of just complain about them. I personally don't have time nor hardware to work on this. I have a dozen different modern thin clients of AMD Geode, VIA, Intel and Radeon chipsets and they all work great with K12Linux.
* It needs more RAM on the client, at least 128MB to be safe.
* Support ends early 2010.

The support problem isn't too bad. Just use K12Linux F10 until K12Linux EL6 (RHEL6 + EPEL6) is out. Then upgrade once into that version which will be supported for many years thereafter.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com

Somewhere on the LTSP wiki I think there are instructions for how to
use an Ubuntu-based chroot environment on any other distro.  There's
a guy on the ltsp-discuss list who uses LTSP 5 on CentOS in this way.