[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Feb 27 18:31:29 UTC 2009

PowerPC Apple boxes don't use PXE; they use a system more akin to how
Sun boxes net-boot.  That said, they make fine thin clients assuming
they've got decent screen resolution.  That'll of course depend on when
it was made.

Since you're talking about iMacs, that means they all use the newer
OpenFirmware, like all other "NewWorld" PPC Macs.  You should be able to
netboot these things just fine.  However, if you run into trouble with
that, I've done basic Yellow Dog Linux installs with pretty much just
X11 (no GNOME, KDE, Firefox, or any of that other stuff).  Just enough
to get X11 to run.  Then you can stick the following in the rc.local file.

  X -query w.x.y.z

where w.x.y.z is your LTSP server.  This alternate strategy works very
well with anything, regardless of architecture, just so long as you've
got X11 installed (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, any GNU/Linux, Slowaris, whatever).

So, if it's dirt-cheap, has 10/100 like all iMacs should, and has decent
screen resolution, then yeah, go for it!

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!