Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

BTW, if you want local apps, then I believe your thin clients must use the same CPU architecture as your LTSP server.  That is, if your LTSP server's a Power Mac G5, then you'd need PPC thin clients to do local apps.  Likewise, an x86-based server would need x86-based clients.  But again, this is *only* in the case of running apps locally, not for the "classic" LTSP thin client scenario.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

David Hopkins wrote:
Ok, I have been asked to determine if it makes sense to acquire a lab
of Apple Imac ( www.apple.com/imac/specs ) and then PXE boot them when
they are not being used for video/audio processing classes. I know I
could configure them to mount home directories for users but that is
not what I'm being asked about.  I'd prefer to stay with thin clients
except as far as I know there aren't any simple, easy-to-use
video/audio editing packages that 'just work' on thin clients. This is
for grades 5-8.  Perhaps the ability to run local apps with K12Linux
solves this?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins