[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:44:56 UTC 2009

> If the school is willing to spend money on new hardware, why not compare an all-Mac lab to an all-Linux lab, without using LTSP.  That's more of an
> apples-to-apples comparison.  LTSP isn't always the best solution, and it sounds like standalone Linux systems would have a better chance against
> standalone Macs in this case (specifically because of the video and audio editing).
>
> $40K would buy you at least 50 pretty nice white-box machines with 22"
> widescreen monitors.  Probably closer to 60.

Answering this as separate issue.  LTSP is not always the best
solution and neither is all Mac or MS. Trick is finding the balance
that works.  This particular request can tip that balance completely
out of kilter.  The killer here is ease-of-use for video/audio
editing. The scenario/functionality that has been spec'ed almost rules
out any option except Macs.  I don't have an issue with using what
meets the need.  I do have a bit of issue when that spec is driven a
secondary objective. But ... that sounds like a rant and it really
shouldn't be taken that way, well, maybe a little.  And 40K would
allow putting in 250+ thin clients re-using free desktop systems and
only needing to purchase servers and some switches.  We'll see what
happens.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins