[K12OSN] OT - Upgrading Server - Copying Config Files

Timothy Legge timlegge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 23:38:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Carl Keil <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:
> Hey Folks,
> Anyway, I'm confused about the config files.  Can I just copy over the
> apache/mysql/iptables/samba/ssh files?  If there are new/different versions
> of these things on the new server won't that cause problems?  I'm thinking I
> need to just copy certain parts of each file.  Is that the way most folks do
> it?

Hi

I would not just copy the files over the centos versions.  I would
copy the fedora version to the correct location with a .fedora
extension. and I would backup the originals with .centos extension.

Then I would do a diff as follows:

diff -u configfile.centos configfile.fedora

This will output a unified diff format that is pretty easy to read.
If the Fedora and centos distros are indeed very similar you will see
just your changes that you made.  Review the diff files line by line,
understand the changes before replicating them into your new system.

I believe you mentioned that this is a web server.  Therefore it is
very important that you understand the change you make to config
files.  In addition, if you have not already done so, implement
mod_security.  It will do a lot to protect your web server.

Also, I realize not everyone has the hardware/money to be able to do
this but running a database server on a web server is a bad idea for
both performance and security reasons.  Ideally your database server
will be on a box separated from the web server by a firewall that
permits only the web server to access the database port.  If the
hardware is modern, XEN may be able to provide virtualization to allow
you to do his cheaper.

As for an oath, this is more of a warning:

We trust that you have received the usual lecture from the
local System Administrator. It usually boils down to these
three things:
#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Good luck.

Tim