[K12OSN] OT: Weird OpenOffice behavior

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 12:01:01 UTC 2009

> Terrel Prude wrote:
> Interesting...on which distro of GNU/Linux is this happening?

This is using the CentOS based version of K12LTSP, the last version
that is recommended if you want a RHEL based distro. It used LTSP 4.2.
 This server is using pulseaudio instead of esd for sound if that
makes any difference at all (it shouldn't?)

> GDK sits in between X11 and the GTK API.  How do other GTK-based apps
> behave, for example, Evolution?

This is the only app that seems to have problems, and only for a few
users (4 that I know of) out of 600+ users.

> Another test:  with a given userID, try logging into a KDE desktop instead
> of GNOME and try starting up staroffice -writer.  If that doesn't work, then
> try running "soffice -writer" to run the built-in OpenOffice.org.

staroffice will not launch in a KDE session.  I thought it might but
it doesn't. I have tested with numerous 'guest' accounts (general
purpose generic accounts that teachers sometimes use if they don't
want the students to log into their accounts).  soffice -writer
launches staroffice as well. OO.o isn't installed on the system (I
uninstalled it prior to installing SO8)