What has happened to [K12OSN] K12Linux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:48:01 UTC 2009

Warren Togami wrote:

>> Thanks for all the work you've put in, Warren.
>>

> I have to admit that I did not understand the one NIC setup before.  I
> am under the impression that this is actually a lesson common way of
> using it, because you typically already have a DHCP server on a network.

That would likely depend on who is the network admin.  If it is mostly a
windows shop they'll have a separate machine for every service.  If they
are unix/linux guys, they'll run a bunch of stuff on the same box and
may be replacing the existing dhcp server with the ltsp server.

> But the way you described it where the LTSP server itself serves DHCP
> for the rest of the network... that actually is not much different from
> the standard configuration at all.

Yet another alternative is to add the next-server option, etc. to the
existing DHCP server on a flat network.

> I suppose we really need people to describe what are the typical ways of
> setting up a LTSP network?  Then we can organize the various ways into
> the documentation.

The tricky ones are where you have multiple ltsp servers with a common
NFS mounted /home and network authentication and want fail-over and load
balancing among the clients.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com