[K12OSN] NFS Error

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sat Jan 17 19:01:27 UTC 2009

With NFS exports, unlike Windows shares, any directory beneath exported
directory can be mounted on another machine.  IOW, if /opt/ltsp is exported, the
client machine can mount, say, /opt/ltsp/i386 under whatever mountpoint he
chooses.  Or the client could mount /opt/ltsp/i386/etc under the desired
mountpoint.  You are not limited to only mounting at the directory exported.

That aside, try booting a fat client on your thin client network and see if you
can manually mount what the server is exporting.  If you can, then at least you
know NFS is working correctly.  If you can't, then at least you've narrowed the
scope of the problem.

Peter