[K12OSN] server crashing

Steve Krause krauses at deerpark.wednet.edu
Tue Jan 27 19:49:53 UTC 2009

>>> Barry Cisna <cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us> 1/27/09 10:23:03 AM >>>

> Steve,
>
> Just a thought. If replacing the keyboard/mouse,does not help your
> server situation,what you  could try next is going into the bios and
> manually ,by clock speed slowing down the cpu(s) one speed at a time,and
> let it run this way for a day. We have an old dual processor server that
> merely runs as a backup server that was doing exactly what your server
> is experiencing. By just slowing down the FSB clock speed one
> increment ,never has hiccupped since. Another possibility could be one
> of the two processors is going bonkers on you. You could take off one
> processor at a time and let the sever run a day with one or the other to
> eliminate this possibility,as well.
>
> Take Care,
> Barry Cisna

Thanks Barry,  I will keep that to look at.  I ran the HP diagnostice this morning before staff showed up.  Everything passed, but of interest was that of the four drive making up the RAID 5, three are Maxtor and one is Fujitsu.  The Maxtors finished the test and passed in 78% of expected time.  The Fujitsu finished in 109% of expected time and passed as well.  I wonder if there could be a timing issue between the drives.  It ran successfully yesterday afternoon till this morning when I did the test.  It is still running.  I changed out the last 2G of RAM.  We also downloaded the latest HP diagnostics and it found a bad drive in an identical server where the earlier version I used this morning did not find it.  I will probably run the newer one, but it takes about 45 minutes to complete all the tests.

Steve Krause, CNE
Network Manager
Deer Park School District #414
Deer Park, WA