[K12OSN] Open Office problem!

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:56:10 UTC 2009

> However, this did not cause the icons to show up in the panel. :(
> Note I did not add those three items to the panel settings in gconf --
> they were already there.  But making the changes/setting as mandatory
> did not cause them to appear.  I tried creating a new account on the
> off change it couldn't affect existing accounts, but would be OK for
> new accounts, but that was not the case; the new account is also
> missing the panel launchers. I don't know what to do.

The icons don't show up at all?  or are just not the right icons?  If
you've pointed to a .desktop file that doesn't exist, then the icons
just won't show up.  If they are not the right ones, then selecting
the "Reset my desktop" option on logging in and choosing "Just for
this session" has corrected that issue for me.

> The other issue relates to the default associations/icons for the docx
> and other MS office 2007 files.  Looking at my
> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list made no sense at all --
> especially since it seems to refer only to the old version of
> OpenOffice, not the new one.  But the new one correctly launches with
> DOC files, just not DOCX files.  I've pasted the defaults.list file
> below in case someone can tell me what needs to be changed please.
>
> Thank you!
> Joseph
>
> [Default Applications]

> application/vnd.ms-word=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.wordperfect=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.sun.xml.writer=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.stardivision.writer=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-template=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-web=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop
> application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master=openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop

Why is this pointing at openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop?  As for the
docx option, I'll check my settings this evening, but another way to
accomplish this on a user-by-user basis is to right click on the file,
and choose the application that is used to launch it.  That
application will then always be used for that extension.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins