[K12OSN] Very frustrating!

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 06:48:45 UTC 2009

2009/1/30 Joseph Bishay <joseph.bishay at gmail.com>:
> 1) Printer is USB HP Laserjet 1000
>
> 3) The printer cannot be plugged into a thin client because it does
> not work with JetDirect (as per this site
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&
> docname=bpj06101).  My printer shows up under "Exceptions and
> unsupported printers", of course.

If it is working on server then only reason for it not to work on the
client is that the client does not have USB2 ports. Is that correct?
Then may be you need atleast one thin client that has SUB2 ports.
(This was how we got scanner working at a thin client).

> 4) I was, under the older K12ltsp, able to get it to print by plugging
> a WIN98 machine into the internet switch that the LTSP internet NIC
> was also plugged into.  I then installed the printer on the WIN 98 and
> shared it out.  Pointed LTSP to the share and printing was fine.
> This, however, no longer works when I upgraded to CentOS.
>
> 5) When I try to replicate that scenario of using win 98, I find I am
> able to browse the shares on the win98 machine from the LTSP server
> but only if they are directories, NOT the printer shares!  This is the
> case if I use LinNeighbourhood or Nautilus, or anything else.
>
> 6) I can force CUPS to point to the place where the printer share
> SHOULD be: (smb:///PRINTSVR1/HPLJ_1000 or the IP version
> smb:///192.168.1.250/HPLJ_1000) and printing will still not work -
> gives the error: Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60
> seconds...
>
> 7) This is the exact same win98 machine and printer that was before
> working fine -- the only changes I can see are 1) the centos ltsp, and
> 2) the IPcop machine that is on the network now

Off chance do check the windows share or samba settings. Win98 use
plain text password whereas later releases used encrypted ...something
like that. Could that be a problem?

HTH

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.