[K12OSN] Very frustrating!

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Fri Jan 30 17:31:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42:23AM -0500, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:

> >>The problem I think is that its not really a printer until the computer
> >>uploads the firmware and tells it that it is a printer , this is why it
> >>needs to be connected to a pc with the drivers.
> >>
> >>Have you tried setting it up as a tcp/ip printer from a windows machine
> >>? it might upload the firmware that way  ???
> >>

> >That could be.  I successfully used an HP Laserjet 1020 on a thin client,
> >but that same printer had previously been attached to a Windows computer.
> >
> >-Rob
> >

> Since it works when hooked up directly to the K12LTSP server, why not
> just hook up a little cheapie "JetDirect-like" print server, make a
> print queue in the K12LTSP server, and put the printer wherever there's
> a network drop?
>
> Or would that not work for your situation?  Is there a specific reason
> why it has to hang directly off of a thin client?

My understanding of the host-based printers is that they won't work if hooked to a print server if you attempt to communicate to it directly from a Windows machine.  I think that magic that makes it work on a print server is the Linux driver.  So you could hook it to a print server, but you'd need to configure and share the printer from a Linux machine.

This is based on my recollection of when I had a similar problem about a year ago.  My memory might be fading, though...

-Rob