Re: [K12OSN] OT: Weird OpenOffice behavior

Interesting...on which distro of GNU/Linux is this happening?

GDK sits in between X11 and the GTK API.  How do other GTK-based apps behave, for example, Evolution?

Another test:  with a given userID, try logging into a KDE desktop instead of GNOME and try starting up staroffice -writer.  If that doesn't work, then try running "soffice -writer" to run the built-in OpenOffice.org.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

David Hopkins wrote:
This is actually with StarOffice8 but ... perhaps someone has a clue
... at this point I don't.

I have a couple of users who cannot launch the application via the
panel or from the command line IF they specify the type of document.
e.g. if they launch a terminal session and type "staroffice8" , it
launches and they can then select a new document.

However, if, for example, they type "staroffice8 -writer", they get
the following:  (repeated numerous times)

(soffice:6231): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display:
assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(soffice:6231): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_peek_event: assertion
`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(soffice:6231): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display:
assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

I have tried deleting all .gnome* .gconf* files, I have reset the
desktop, I have deleted all files/directories from /tmp ... but
nothing works.

Now, to make it really strange, if I open a terminal and then su -
their_username (in essence creating a login terminal session
environment?), now, from this second login in the shell staroffice8
-writer WORKS!! ????  .... Why?  It implies there is something wrong
with their initial terminal session.  How is su - different from just
opening a terminal from a gnome session where they are logged in?
Googling for Gdk-CRITICAL ... doesn't/hasn't been useful.

I know I could upgrade to OpenOffice 3 (or the StarOffice equivalent)
but I can't do so in the middle of the school year.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School