Re: [K12OSN] OT: Weird OpenOffice behavior

David Hopkins wrote:

Now, to make it really strange, if I open a terminal and then su -
their_username (in essence creating a login terminal session
environment?), now, from this second login in the shell staroffice8
-writer WORKS!! ????  .... Why?  It implies there is something wrong
with their initial terminal session.  How is su - different from just
opening a terminal from a gnome session where they are logged in?

The only difference should be in the way environment variables are set. Try running 'env >filename' from a terminal session before and after the su and diff the files. I'm not sure about all the differences but I think a graphical login will source .profile where a bash shell login (which su - will emulate) will source .bash_profile instead if it exists - and there may be some other differences.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com