[K12OSN] OT: Weird OpenOffice behavior

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:22:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Hopkins wrote:
>>
>> Now, to make it really strange, if I open a terminal and then su -
>> their_username (in essence creating a login terminal session
>> environment?), now, from this second login in the shell staroffice8
>> -writer WORKS!! ????  .... Why?  It implies there is something wrong
>> with their initial terminal session.  How is su - different from just
>> opening a terminal from a gnome session where they are logged in?
>
> The only difference should be in the way environment variables are set.  Try
> running 'env >filename' from a terminal session before and after the su and
> diff the files.  I'm not sure about all the differences but I think a
> graphical login will source .profile where a bash shell login (which su -
> will emulate) will source .bash_profile instead if it exists - and there may
> be some other differences.

Supposedly (based on gnome docs) ~/.bash_profile is executed at login
for a gdm session.   All users have a .bash_profile file, but none
have a .profile file.   At this point ... I'm not sure I believe
documentation though since a 2 week lull also shouldn't cause a
program to just stop working.

I had ran a difference last night between the before and after cases
but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.  I'll run it again and
go through it with a fine tooth comb. I have also just received
permission to just install OO.o 3.0 at this point and will do that
tonight after uninstalling SO8 from all servers. Tomorrow will be
interesting.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School