[K12OSN] smbldap with exchange mail server

I have an existing Windows 2003 server that's running Active Directory and Exchange.  As part of my "baby steps" process, I'd like to replace the AD system with Samba/LDAP but keep the Exchange server for email (for now).  Does anybody have experience doing such a thing, and can anybody offer me any advice?  I fear that Exchange may complain when AD is turned off...

-Rob