[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN LTSP and LDAP auth probs

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jan 8 00:14:11 UTC 2009

2009/1/7 Bob Mead <bmead at lane.k12.or.us>:
> Thanks for the input. My LTSP box has several /var/log/secure(.1 .2 etc) but
> not on the ldap server.  :( Any other thoughts on where to look?

Can you bind w/ a command-line ldap client (e.g. ldapsearch)?

ldapsearch -x -h your.ldap.server -LLL \
-D uid=youruser,dc=slane,dc=k12,dc=or,dc=us -W

Make sure the -D option specifies the whole distinguished name of a
user. Should prompt you for the user's LDAP password. Try a bad
password; you should get "ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)" or
similar. Try the right password. It should print the contents of the
directory, with the exception of anything disallowed by ACLs.

"loglevel 256" in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (will have to restart the
ldap server) should log connections/operations/results as per "man 5
slapd.conf".

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services