[K12OSN] Fedora-9 LTSP - Need help with various issues - probably FAQ

John Ellson john.ellson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 02:42:21 UTC 2009

We have various stripped down i686 and x86_64 PCs in our elementary
school with the server running on a x86_64 box.
Mostly, it all works quite well, but we have some issues that I could
use some help with.    I'm hoping these are just FAQ
issues and that someone can point me to an up-to-date version of the FAQ?

- Sound "works," if the classroom is silent and you have very good
ears!      How do I increase the volume on all clients to a useful level?
   In /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/*/lts.conf we have:
      SOUND=True
      VOLUME=100
      HEADPHONE_VOLUME=100
      PCM_VOLUME=100
      FRONT_VOLUME=100
  There was recent discussion, for Ubuntu, at:
   should I be trying to apply this?

- If I plugin a USB memory stick in the client, I get an icon on the
desktop, which I can open with nautilus, but none of the content is
shown?    Where do I  look next?

- Where is the FAQ on how to update the client images properly?      I
tried using yum in the chroot, but kernel updates didn't work, so now
I'm  rebuilding the client images from scratch periodically.

- Where is the step-by-step FAQ on configuring and installing local apps?

- Are last-modified-in-2004 FAQs like the one at:
http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html still
accurate?   I assume that the current documentation is supposed to be at
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/, but there seems to be a lot missing
there.

Thanks for any hints.

--