Re: [K12OSN] Fedora-9 LTSP - Need help with various issues - probably FAQ

John Ellson wrote:
- Sound "works," if the classroom is silent and you have very good ears! How do I increase the volume on all clients to a useful level?
  In /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/*/lts.conf we have:
     SOUND=True
     VOLUME=100
     HEADPHONE_VOLUME=100
     PCM_VOLUME=100
     FRONT_VOLUME=100
There was recent discussion, for Ubuntu, at: http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Ubuntu/2008-08/msg01267.html
  should I be trying to apply this?

I have noticed this as well.  I am digging into this sometime soon myself.

- If I plugin a USB memory stick in the client, I get an icon on the desktop, which I can open with nautilus, but none of the content is shown? Where do I look next?

I have never seen this personally, although I haven't used F9 for a few months now. Could you please try booting your server with the K12Linux F10 Live Server and see if the clients behave the same there?

- Where is the FAQ on how to update the client images properly? I tried using yum in the chroot, but kernel updates didn't work, so now I'm rebuilding the client images from scratch periodically.

After updating the kernels in the chroot, did you use "ltsp-update-kernels" outside the chroot to copy the kernel from inside the chroot to /var/lib/tftpboot/ARCH/?

- Where is the step-by-step FAQ on configuring and installing local apps?

Umm... upstream should have this documented, if not please yell at them. The only thing unique about our local apps installation is yum instead of apt.

- Are last-modified-in-2004 FAQs like the one at: http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html still accurate? I assume that the current documentation is supposed to be at https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/, but there seems to be a lot missing there.

Could you please make a list of specific documentation items you really need rewritten for K12Linux? The old docs are so old that it would be better to write them from scratch.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com