[K12OSN] mount: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 11:10:37 UTC 2009

Brian Fristensky wrote:
> After recent upgrades to my server, my DLW thin client will no longer boot.
> It seems to load all files by TFTP, but then I get the following messages:
>
> Red Hat nash version 6.0.52 starting
> mount: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)
> nfsmount: error mounting 192.168.1.103:/opt/ltsp/i386 on /sysroot as
> nfs: Bad file descriptor
> /setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
> etc......
>
> I interpret this to mean that the thin client is trying mount
> /opt/ltsp/i386
> as /sysroot on the thin client. the IP of the server is correct.
> As suggested in a posting about another RPC-related problem:
>
>  > /root#/usr/sbin/exportfs -v
>  > /opt/ltsp
> <world>(ro,async,wdelay,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>
> I have tried rebooting the server, and even restarting rpcbind and nfs,
> with no luck.
>
> Help would be appreciated.

Check the /etc/exports file on your server and see if your terminal's IP
address is allowed to mount that filesystem.

                         - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802      http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W              AST (UTC-4)                         |