[K12OSN] NFS Install

Tue Jan 20 21:30:21 UTC 2009

I don't think it works to export the ISO as a file.  I think you have to mount the ISO, or the CD, or copy all the files, and export the actual files from the ISO to do an NFS install.  But, that's not what's preventing the NFS mount.

You've tested mounting this export from other NFS clients.  Can you list the contents of the export from a successfully connected NFS client?
For example:
  # mount spiff:/mnt/iso /mnt
  # ls -al /mnt

What's that get?

And when you do your mount from the installer, what information are you providing in the NFS dialog?

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS

----- Original Message -----
From: "j.w. thomas" <jthomas at bittware.com>
To: "K12OSN" <k12osn at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:05:21 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: [K12OSN] NFS Install

I'm trying to do an NFS install of the

I've followed the instructions for setting up the nfs server as per
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
And then proceeded to the instructions for the install at
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html

I can mount the NFS export from another Linux box, so I am convinced the
NFS server is correctly configured.  When I get to the prompt to enter
the IP address of the NFS server and the mount point, I enter the
correct (I'm sure) info, and then hit enter.  I am greeted with this:

Error
That directory could not be
mounted from the server
OK

mount: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have copied the iso to the exported directory:

cp ~jthomas/Download/K12LTSP-5.0.0EL-64bit-dvd.iso /mnt/iso/

Here's my /etc/exports
# cat /etc/exports
/mnt/iso *(ro,no_root_squash)

I restarted the nfs server after creating /etc/exports, and everything
there looks OK:

# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]

When I try to mount from the installtion scripts, /var/log/messages
tells me this:

Jan 20 13:04:17 spiff mountd[20920]: connect from 192.168.1.123 to proc
(1) in mountd: request from unauthorized host

Any help here would be very much appreciated!

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
Hope springs occasionally.