Re: [K12OSN] Very frustrating!

Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:42:23AM -0500, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:

Rob Owens wrote:

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 04:23:21PM +0200, Dean Mumby wrote:

Rob Owens wrote:

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:22:23AM -0500, Joseph Bishay wrote:

Hello,

So I have a feeling that there's some sort of evil force trying to
prevent me from getting this lab off the ground.

My latest trouble has to do with trying to get a printer working.  I
had it working once when I was using K12LTSP 5 (based on FC with LTSP
4.2) but now that I've upgraded to EL5 nothing is really working.
Here's the skinny:

1) Printer is USB HP Laserjet 1000

2) Printer works no problem when directly plugged into the server.
This isn't feasible because the server is not in the computer lab

3) The printer cannot be plugged into a thin client because it does
not work with JetDirect (as per this site
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&
docname=bpj06101).  My printer shows up under "Exceptions and
unsupported printers", of course.

This applies to Windows only.  This is a "host-based" printer, as HP
calls it.  That means (under Windows), it must be attached directly to a
computer.  It doesn't support jetdirect natively.  When it gets hooked
to an LTSP thin client, it should work though.  I've done it with an HP
1020.

Double-check all your steps.

1)  Is the thin client listed in lts.conf, and are you specifying in
that file that it has a usb printer attached?

2)  Does the thin client have a static IP address?

3)  Have you rebooted the thin client after making the above
changes/settings?

4)  Have you configured a jetdirect printer in cups which points to the
IP address or hostname of the correct thin client?  Did you specify HP
Laserjet 1000 as the printer?

There are probably some things I'm missing here.  Everybody, feel free
to add to my list.

-Rob

The problem I think is that its not really a printer until the computer
uploads the firmware and tells it that it is a printer , this is why it
needs to be connected to a pc with the drivers.

Have you tried setting it up as a tcp/ip printer from a windows machine
? it might upload the firmware that way  ???

That could be.  I successfully used an HP Laserjet 1020 on a thin client,
but that same printer had previously been attached to a Windows computer.

-Rob

Since it works when hooked up directly to the K12LTSP server, why not
just hook up a little cheapie "JetDirect-like" print server, make a
print queue in the K12LTSP server, and put the printer wherever there's
a network drop?

Or would that not work for your situation?  Is there a specific reason
why it has to hang directly off of a thin client?

My understanding of the host-based printers is that they won't work if hooked to a print server if you attempt to communicate to it directly from a Windows machine.  I think that magic that makes it work on a print server is the Linux driver.  So you could hook it to a print server, but you'd need to configure and share the printer from a Linux machine.

This is based on my recollection of when I had a similar problem about a year ago.  My memory might be fading, though...

-Rob

Sure, that's the idea.  You could configure/share that printer from a Linux machine and have your Windows clients, if any, hit the Linux print queue, via either Samba or through CUPS's "LPR compatibility mode."  Either one will work from pretty much any Windows machine.

But unless I'm misreading the original question, it didn't seem to be about Windows machines, but rather getting the printer to work in a separate physical location from the K12LTSP server.  I think that's why Joseph wanted to hang the printer off of a thin client.  A little print server would work perfectly for this scenario.

--TP